Position: Archives Associate
Exempt/Non-Exempt: Exempt / Full-time
Reporting to: VP of Curatorial Affairs
Celebrating its 80th anniversary next year, HistoryMiami Museum is one of the largest private, regional history organizations in the southeastern United States. A Smithsonian Affiliate, the museum’s mission is to safeguard and share Miami stories to foster learning, inspire a sense of place, and cultivate an engaged community. We seek an experienced professional to provide reference, basic research, and other services to internal and external clients of the museum’s Research Center. This position has no direct reports but will collaborate with staff across the museum.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Staffs the Research Center reference desk and assists all researchers and visitors.
- Schedules and maintains research appointments, establishing researcher expectations before visit.
- Provides reference assistance.
- Assists researchers in using access tools such as finding aids and the library catalog.
- Supervises and instructs visitors in the Research Center regarding policies and procedures to ensure that security and preservation procedures are being followed.
- Assists in responding to e-mail and telephone reference queries.
- Guides patrons in the use of books, periodicals, and archival materials.
- Refiles and re-shelves materials regularly.
- Helps maintain an environment conducive to research and study in the Research Center.
- Receives and processes payments for photocopying.
- Facilitates digital service requests with the Digital Services Associate for both internal needs (such as exhibitions and marketing) and external clients.
- Processes archival collections as assigned.
- Assists with retrieval and delivery of acquisitions and loans as needed.
- Occasionally trains and exercises direction over student and volunteer personnel.
- Minor administrative duties.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in related discipline.
- Minimum of three years of relevant work experience in an archive, special collection, and/or library setting.
- Technically proficient, with experience in data entry, database systems, and office software.
- Exceptional organizational and customer service skills.
- Self-motivated problem solver with the ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines.
- Master’s degree in related discipline.
- Knowledge of accepted archives management and reference services practices.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish).
Submit letter of interest, resume, and salary requirements to: Michael Knoll, VP of Curatorial Affairs, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be advised that we are able to contact only those candidates whose background and skills best fit the needs of the position.
HistoryMiami Museum provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.